Monday, August 28, 2006

Guitar Hero Musings

Guitar HeroAh, Guitar Hero. The game that allows anyone to pick up an axe and play (sort of). Ever since its release last year I've been somewhat intrigued as to what this Dance Dance Revolution-esque game is about. But being a guitar player, I've always felt superior enough to not bother. Why mimic guitar playing when I can just play the real thing?

Comes with all you see here!For those not in the know, Guitar Hero is a videogame for the Playstation 2 in which you play along with various rock songs using a guitar shaped controller. It has five "frets" on the neck which you press down in sync with guitar notes, while you "strum strings" with the other hand by pressing on a lever. Songs range from "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult, to "Thunder Kiss '65" by White Zombie, to "Cowboys From Hell" by Pantera.

My interest peaked last week when I learned that songs like "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath and "John the Fisherman" by Primus were going to be featured on Guitar Hero II (never mind Anthrax, Rush, and Butthole Surfers). So I read the instruction book, watched Google videos, and even saw some kids play it at Best Buy.

Screenie!Conclusion? None quite yet. At first the kids playing it at Best Buy left me baffled. They were playing at easy level, and it almost seemed as if the notes the game was telling them to play didn't sync with the real guitar riffs. But as I watched videos on-line which showcased the game at harder skill levels, that seemed to happen less often. The developers also seemed to work hard at making sure that higher notes were played "higher" on the neck, and that power chords were played by spacing two frets apart.

I couldn't help but think as I watched some of it, however, that it was actually MORE difficult to play certain songs on Guitar Hero because you didn't have but one string. So there were times where I could easily see myself fretting in the same place and moving to a different string with a real guitar, whereas the game made you go all over the place with the "fret buttons".

I really need to try this thing out and see how I'd do with some practice. Anyone got a PS2 with some GH and want a new friend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home