Monday, May 07, 2007

Rush DVD Album Format to Include Hi-Rez Stereo

The official Rush website updated their news section on May 4 regarding the DVD Album of Snakes & Arrows, stating that it will include a 96 kHz/24-bit stereo layer. No word as to whether it will have a high resolution surround layer. It's unclear to me if this 96/24 layer is a DVD-A layer or one that any DVD player can decode, but since there is no mention of a high resolution surround mix, I bet that it will be a digital PCM track (thus, any DVD player can play it).

In addition to the typical stuff one expected from this release (documentary, wallpapers, screen savers, etc.), they are also touting the ability to buy ringtones of the album for your phone. Not any old ringtones, mind you, but the exact part of a song you like, rather than simply the clip they want you to have. Of course anyone with a simple audio editing program and half a brain can already do this (my Battle of the Planets alert sound is très l33t), but who am I to stand in the way of new business schemes.

I preordered my copy from Amazon last week, and will give my opinion on it upon arrival next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home