Saturday, April 02, 2005

W00t For American Idol

So sue me - I dig the show. Must be the musician in me that makes me fall to the Dark Side and endure it. Yeah, you'd think that would make me run far away from it, but there's nothing that makes my day like my Tuesday night ritual of yelling at those boobs (contestants and judges) on the screen.

The last two weeks have been crazy. I was rooting for Bo Bice all the way because he's the only one that rocks from time to time (Constantine - not. Please stop butchering Police songs). But doing a Black Crowes song dropped him more than a few notches in my book. The biggest problem, besides poor song choice, was the fact that the band simply couldn't play the song well. So it just made Bo look worse than he is.

And what the hell was up with the prior week when everyone praised Carrie Underwood for her cover of Heart's "Alone"? The only answer I have is that Randy and Paula were on crack, and Simon just wants to screw her. I never liked that song, but hearing it butchered in that way made me realize that Nancy Wilson does have actual singing talent.

Besides, "Barracuda" is proto-metal all the way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HM, I am awash in a Sea of Shame, having learned that you watch this show. To think I called you a friend.

Dig the resurrection of Band Chat here. I look forward to leaving many posts. (Hopefully some more productive than this one. But Good Lord, Man! What are you thinking?)

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people should post sound clips of themselves singing onto this site and you can be the judge, HM. With your biting musical criticisms, I'd bet you'd give Simon a run for his money!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know, HM, I share your guilty pleasure in American Idol. Or at least I have in the past. After watching the initial rounds (the auditions and eliminations have the highest humiliation quotient and therefore provide the most schadenfreude-induced fun), I found this season and its contestants so boring that I decided it wasn't worth the time commitment. And I actually *like* pop music! But sorry, I am yawning just thinking about this season's AI.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sue you? Where can I file? I'll take this case to the Supreme Court, if necessary. Although I know I'd lose, given Antonin Scalia's big fat crush on Paula Abdul. Hey, opposites attract!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Hollow Man said...

The Idol is worthy. I'd much rather listen/watch that than say, Good Charlotte or Blink 182.

The current batch of people are generally weak, but we do have two people who pretend to be rockers. One is bona fide decent (Bo), the other is so lame that it'll make you tear you ears off and eyes out (Constantine).

Pretty Boy 'Tine tried to shake it up with a reworking of "I Think I Love You". Choice! I hope his band drops his sorry ass when he gets back to whatever town barfed him up.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home